The saliva, droppings, and decomposing bodies of cockroaches contain proteins known to trigger allergies that can increase the severity of asthma symptoms, especially in children. Cockroaches are often found in warm climates and in homes in cities, but they also can be found in cooler climates because of the use of central heat.
What should I do to prevent cockroaches?
Cockroaches and other pests are in search of food and water, so store food in airtight containers. This includes your pet’s food as well. Also, keep countertops, tables, and floors clean. Also, keep unseen areas clean, such as under appliances and sinks, where cockroaches can accumulate.
Below are a few more tips:
- Seal the cracks around the outside of your home to prevent entryways
- Vacuum frequently and dispose of garbage bags regularly
- Contact a licensed pest professional if you suspect an infestation
- Dry up their water supply
- Remove dead cockroaches
What are some ways to remove cockroaches?
- Use cockroach bait
- Use cockroach traps
- Use water jars. Place a jar of water next to a wall, allowing roaches to get in but not escape. Any bait can be placed in the jar, including coffee grounds
- Use boric acid roach killers